If you are thinking about growing fruits in your garden and thinking about what variety of fruit to choose, we suggest you to start growing cherries and avocados.
Growing Cherry Trees
Planting cherry trees in your garden is good. However, some people lack the knowledge of how to grow cherry trees in their homes. The trees give a very nice scene especially during springs as they are full of white and pink flowers. This is followed by what people like most in the plant, the sweet cherry. The article explains how to grow cherry trees on your farm.
The cherry is available in two varieties, namely the sweet cherry and sour cherry.
The sugary cherry varieties are common in many places. The cherry has a dense and rich nature. The sweet cherry grows very well even in harsh environments; the plant has a unique self-sterile, it’s good for growing it in a big garden or your fruit farm. When planting you require at least 2 or 3 plants for pollination to take place effectively. With science in agriculture, there has been an improvement and developing of a self-pollinating cherry tree. The sour cherry can’t be taken raw and are used in the kitchen for preservative purposes. The cherry is smaller compared to the sweet cherry. The plant can be grown in the temperate areas.
The cherry tree begins to bear fruits during their 4th year. But the shorter varieties bear fruits in 3rd year. A well-grown cherry tree normally gives about 30-40 qtz of cherry for a year, but the dwarf variety gives 10-15 qtz.
How To Plant Cherries
They are planted during the early springs because the soils are soft and a lot of moisture. In the case of the sweet cherry plant, they are planted close to one another for pollination purposes. They’re planted in open space away from buildings for good circulation of air and access to the sun. The trees require deep soils with good drainage. The spacing, especially for the sweet cherry, should be 35-40 ft from one another while the shorts are planted at 5-10 ft from each other. It’s good to place your trees in the normal stock some inches beneath the ground.
In the case of the fan trees, it’s good to make some supporting staff before you plant the tree. The fans are planted at 12-15 ft from each other. While the bare roots, you plant the stock in the soil at the hole middle. The root shouldn’t be bend and fill it with soil. Those who like using containers to plant, just have the rootball removed and then cut. Avoid covering the rootball top.
How To Care For Cherry
Both sweet and sour cherry requires the same care and maintenance. Mulching is recommended to conserve moisture. Nets are used to prevent birds from feeding on the fruits. Also, observe regular watering when growing the plant in hot places. The cherry tree doesn’t require any thin to be done since they do it themselves. The trees are pruned yearly mostly during the cold season to promote fruiting.
Pest and Diseases
The plant can be attacked by caterpillars, aphids, brown rot, Japanese beetles and black knot. The tree may be invaded by bacteria disease. The pesticides are available to cater for all the pests.
The fruits are harvested when ripe, that is red, yellow or black depending on varieties. The cherries are harvested, eaten and cooked. Avoid handpicks the fruit as you may get injured and infected.
Tricks How To Grow An Avocado Tree
Growing an avocado tree may sound very simple but it requires patience. It may sound simple because every garden beginner may it be an adult or kids can do so. But patience and the care taken to the avocado tree is the main thing. There are activities or processes that are done to an avocado tree that is worth waiting. These tasks include:
- You are likely to start an avocado tree from the seed.
- Then planting the avocado tree outdoors.
- It calls for you now to start caring for that seedling which is a future avocado tree.
- Finally enjoying the results of your patience.
Having the above knowledge of what it takes to plant the avocado seed, it is enough to say that you must be patient enough for you to get the avocado tree fruits.
How to Plant the Avocado Tree.
Basically, there are processes that one should follow while planting an Avocado tree. These processes are
- The avocado seed is got from the avocado fruit. Wash and dry it.
- Add water in a jar to the brim.
- Locating the broad end of the seed, make sure that the broad endpoint down the water in the jar.
- Around the pit, press three toothpicks. This will, in turn, suspend the pit from the rim of the jar with water. Then place the toothpick about one inch from the avocado pit in the water.
- Make sure you place that jar together with the avocado pit away from direct sunlight. A window sill is highly recommended.
- Replenishing water is needed thus after two to six weeks the pit start to sprout.
- If there is no sprout noted, the process should begin with another seed.
- When the sprout reaches six to seven inches it should be cut by a half.
- When the roots have begun growing thick and stem start having leaves transfer the seedling into a pot with a bigger diameter whereby half of the seed should be exposed above the soils in the pot.
Planting an Avocado tree Outdoor
Avocados are known best to be tropical plants. This means that they are not meant for very cold places. Places like California, Florida, and most of the Southernmost parts, their temperatures rarely drop to freezing points. Thus it is good to plant the sprouted seed outdoors and do so in spring before the winter season sets in. The avocado tree should be protected from winds and frosts. Avocados should not be planted deep on the ground since they have shallow roots.
Avocado Tree Plant Care
Here are some key points to consider while growing avocado tree:
- Avocado plants require good amount of sunlight, therefore, always plant in the areas where it gets enough sunlight.
- Keep the plant moist and not saturated by watering it frequently and make sure that the soils drain very well to prevent saturation.
- Cut down the stem if it grows to more than six inches to encourage a bushier look.
- Plant your seed when it is big enough for those who leave in a warm climate. After some years it will definitely bear fruits.
- Fertilizing is also very important, fertilizing will not only help in during the growth stage but also during the fruit-bearing stage.
You don’t have to be based in a rural area to grow avocado, you can also grow in an urban environment. All you need is about 5 square meters of garden area. Urban gardeners have also grown avocado in containers, and if you do not have enough garden area, you could definitely try growing in a container.